Sunday, March 3, 2013

Daisy if You Do: MxMo LXXI

There are so many ways for me to kick start my ambitious theme.  I thought about vodka, since it's a no brainer ingredient that is frowned upon the mixology universe.  Hmm, I have something in mind but I think I'll leave that one alone for right now.  No.  I want to come at this from another angle.  Let's take an ingredient that I think is craft but may not get the attention that it deserves.  The ingredient I am referring to is hum liqueur. 

Hum is the brain child of mixologists Adam Seger and Joe McCanta in which they take pot still rhum and cold macerate with with hibiscus, cardamon, ginger and kaffir lime.  Unlike most other liqueurs,
hum is 35% abv and can be used as a base spirit and not just a mixer.  It's flavor is deep with hibiscus that is balanced by the spice from the ginger and cardamon, finished with a bit of sugar and citrus.  Now, what makes this ingredient a candidate for my crass reinvention is that most recipes I've seen with it use loads of sour mix, almost always have the words "Cosmo" or "martini" attached to their cocktail names, and because it's still fairly new and still getting its bearings.  Definitely signs of people using a great ingredient to make a crass cocktail, but we can help find a real purpose for a truely crafted product.

I wanted to do a take on a a classic Rum Daisy but with a modern flare to it.  Seeing as how hum is derived from rum, it was clear to me to use that as the base spirit, in addition to some fresh lime and a little pineapple gum syrup.  Classic Daisy components, but with a bit more character.

Hummingbird Daisy
1 1/2 oz Rum
1/2 oz hum Hibiscus Liqueur
3/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 oz Pineapple Gum Syrup
dash of Scrappy's Lavender Bitters
Top with Soda Water

Combine ingredients with ice, shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Top with about 1 oz of soda water and Enjoy.



Color:  Rich and cloudy purple
Flavor:  Bursting with sugarcane, hibiscus, spice and grassy lime.  Hint of pineapple
Texture:  Silky mouth feel with a bit of fizz


Here you go, a flavor revitalization of a classic cocktail using an ingredient that deserves to be used the way it has been crafted to.  I hope this one gives some direction and inspiration on the theme.  Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Scott - as you know, love hum liqueur, this sounds like a great pairing with rum, pineapple syrup, and the bitters...definitely gonna give this one a try. And thanks for the great theme this month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zach, you're actually the one who turned me on to this stuff. It's definitely more complex of a liqueur than you initially think, and so far you're the only guy that I've seen actually making craft cocktails with it. No body in Seattle, that I know of, is showcasing it. Pity. Thanks for showing everyone what this theme was all about, exactly what I was hoping to see. Cheers!

      Delete