Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Maten Kafe Flip

While Mixology Monday is over for me, and I had a blast hosting this months theme, it's time to move on to other crafty concoctions.  But, I really feel like all the submitted cocktails are going to stay with me for a while, helping to bring influence and inspiration abound.  After all, my style is really classically inspired contemporary cocktails so it only makes sense you'll continue to see these types of influences and flavors.  JFL from Rated R Cocktails implanted a thought in my head; that thought being coffee.  I did a blurb about coffee a while back on Coffee House Cravings, one of my first posts in fact, for which I declared my love for coffee.  I pretty much consume at least one or two cups of Joe a day.  And, he's right, coffee does make for an interesting and flavorful addition to cocktails.

I purchased a bottle of Deco Coffee rum a few weeks ago and I've already been playing around with this wonderful rum produced in Oregon and infused with actual local coffee grounds.  Deco recently changed their name to Below Deck but they are still producing their local spirits with the same care and recipes.  It's rare to see locally made rums, in any state for that fact, but this one is definitely worth a look.  While JFL made a wonderful coffee laden daiquiri, I decided to tackle a deeply rich and flavorful flip cocktail.  I started thinking about a Café Brûlot but wanted a complex and rich taste to help balance out the orange and intense coffee flavors. I also opted for a complex toasted citrus Haitian rum to work with the bitter coffee.  A few dashes of spice & mole bitters, an orange amaro, some almond and sugar and you have a delicious morning tipple.  Thanks for the inspiration JFL.  Cheers.

Maten Kafe Flip
1 oz Deco Coffee Rum
1 oz Barbancourt 8 Year Haitian Rum
1/2 oz Averna Amaro
3/4 oz Fresh Orange Juice
1 tsp Orgeat
1 tsp Simple Syrup
2 dashes Angostura Bitters
2 dashes Bittermans Mole Bitters
1 Egg White

Dry shake without ice for 20 seconds.  Add ice, shake hard for 20 more seconds.  Double strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Enjoy.  (Note:  Maten Kafe is Haitian Creole for "Morning Coffee")



Color:  Medium, cloudy coffee brown, with orange hue
Flavor:  Strong coffee, toasted citrus and bitter orange, faint almond & sugarcane
Texture:  Smooth, lightly velvet with medium body

3 comments:

  1. Looks good man, I keep hearing good things about Averna and I want a bottle. I love Barbancourt myself despite my bro despising it. He's not an agricole fan. I'm gonna give this a try once I get some money back in the old coffers. Thanks for the love and Mahalo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Averna is great bitter orange Amaro, similar to Amer Picon but not as complex. You still get the bitter orange, burnt sugar and cola notes found in Amer Picon. It's definitely worth having in your lineup. I can see why your bro might not like Agricole due to its musty, and almost woodsy notes. But I find it far easier to mix with than say Smith & Cross, even though that is a Jamaican. Cheers!

      Delete
    2. This may ruffle some feathers but I vastly prefer Appleton when it comes to Jamaican rums. I also like Blackwell. Smith and Cross is interesting and I like it, but it's more a overproof gold Jamaican rum. Hey to each his own. I'll look for Averna and Picon next time I'm in Atlanta.

      Delete